Ever wanted to turn your school into a science lab for a day? Here is a fun and exciting way to do it.
Suggested timetable for the day:
7:45 – 8:00 = Register
8:00 – 08:30 = Assembly
08:30 – 09:15 = Activity 1
09:15 – 10:00 = Activity 2
10:00 – 10:20 = Break
10:20 – 11:05 = Activity 3
11:05 – 11:50 = Activity 4
11:50 – 12:10 = Break
12:10 – 12:55 = Activity 5
12:55 – 1:15 = Assembly
- The day will start and end with an assembly.
- At the end of the assembly the school will be split into 10 groups. Each group will have a group leader who will be in charge of making sure their group is in the right place. Each group will have ____ children in it.
- There are 5 rooms with two adults in each room. Each room has a number of scientific questions to answer and scientific experiments to complete.
- There will be two groups in each room – they will spend 20ish minutes in one half of the room with adult A and 20ish minutes in the other half of the room with adult B.
- The children will move in a clockwise direction from one room to the next (see map).
- Each teacher will have a crib sheet with the resources they need, instructions for what to do and information about the science behind the experiments which they can share with the children.
- Don’t worry about the children not doing exactly the right thing, not finding the answer or creating mess it is more about their excitement, questioning and enjoyment of science.
- Each group leader will have a sheet with questions, they should fill out the relevant questions for each room with the help of their group. Please allow them time at the end of each experiment to do this.
- In each room there will also be a famous scientist (Scientists document) hidden somewhere in the room and a scrambled key word (included in each rooms resources) with its definition. These two pieces of information need to found and written down on the question sheets.
- There are teacher and child evaluation forms to help evaluate the day and make improvements for the future.